Monday, October 10, 2011

17,000 Down...

...And an unknown number to go.

Last month I set a goal to have my entire manuscript typed by the end of October. Well, it's the tenth and I am not a third of the way done. More like a sixth. I think this means with daily dedication (minimal three hours) I should have a typed manuscript by Christmas. It would be really nice if 2012 was the Year of the Revisions. 2012 is actually The Year of the Dragon, so hopefully that's a good sign.

I'm writing longhand one day and typing it the next. I know a lot of you are thinking, "Why don't you type it to start with?" It's not good for my *creative process. I either A) fall straight into editing mode and end up with five shining paragraphs instead of nine pages of work or B) end up spending large amounts of time on Facebook. Never good.

I have a lot to get done. Five sixths of a book, in some respects. I did a quick in-my-head tally when I couldn't sleep the other night. I have 24 sub-plots. A lot of the "finished" longhand stuff I have is at least a year old. One downside to this new-writer-learning-curve... I can't look at anything more than four months old without thinking, "Good heavens I was hopeless back then!" So that 12+months old material? Well, we'll see.

Moral of the story, I understand that I have no real idea exactly how much work is ahead of me. but I'm still plugging away. There's something to be said for climbing a mountain of an unknown height. Though my friends can probably expect to see less of me. :(



*attention span

No comments:

Post a Comment